MOUNDVILLE, ALABAMA JUNE 9, 2018
Check out this fun video of the 2018 Highway to Hale by Alton Abrams!
HIGHWAY 2 HALE RIDE REPORT
Highway 2 Hale entered the Series with a bang! Buffalo Rock banners welcomed riders to Moundville and the Archaeological Park where orange flags waved by volunteers directed traffic to ample parking areas. Although not showing the amazing number of workers, this photo shows the excitement and enthusiasm of the friendly H2H staff:
A record number of 178 cyclists rolled out in waves with 95 successful centurions by the end of the day. This 4th annual event had more than doubled their numbers from 2017!
Riders had the options of pedaling 25, 38, 69, or 100+ miles. Rest stops and headquarters were stocked with over 1,200 pounds of ICE and a total of 12 SAG drivers patrolled all routes! Comments from returning cyclists were as positive as we could hope for! Several somehow got off course and volunteers promptly checked road markings to find they had been very well marked. As always, we remind everyone to study the route info we provide, slow down, observe, and not necessarily follow the leader.
Meanwhile, back at headquarters the #5 Jazz Band began an all-day presentation of fantastic music and Dreamland BBQ pork & chicken with all the trimmings plus banana pudding was laid out.
By 5:00 we heard through ham radio operators that the final century riders had a few miles to pedal and rolled in shortly with smiles of satisfaction. Congratulations to all finishers and special kudos to the Tuscaloosa Cycle Club members who had taken part in the Volunteer Ride and came in from supporting the day’s ride for official photos!
H2H Centurions are listed to the right. Let us know if you see any mistakes at email@example.com
Hosted by the American Advertising Federation of Tuscaloosa (AAFT) and is one of the new rides of the 2018 Alabama Backroads Century Series, directed by 3-time CHAMPION Fred Twilley and supported by active Series cyclists and CHAMPIONS of the Tuscaloosa Cycle Club.
Located in the west-central part of the state in Alabama’s Black Belt, the area that now constitutes Hale County was home to three Alabama governors: Israel Pickens, John Gayle, and Thomas Seay. Hale County’s Moundville Archaeological Park includes a number of Mississippian-era mounds built by Native Americans more than 1,000 years ago. The town of Greensboro claims the title of Alabama’s “Catfish Capital” and was the birthplace of the Hale County Civic Improvement League, one of the nation’s first civil-rights associations.
Follow the WHITE markings on the Road
- 25 miles: an out and back to the Stewart Community Center
- 38 miles: a loop from Moundville to Akron and back
- 69 miles: from Moundville to Greensboro and back through the Talladega National Forest
- 100+ miles: Moundville to Greensboro with a loop through the southern part of Hale County then back through the Talladega National Forest
- Mile 14.1 | Stewart Community Center Pavilion | View Stop
- Mile 31.3 | Magnolia Grove Antebellum Home
- Mile 48.2 | Mars Hill Missionary Baptist Church
- Mile 62.5 | Magnolia Grove Antebellum Home
- Mile 79.4 | **Payne Lake, Talladega National Forest
- Mile 92.5 | Pleasant Hill Baptist Church
**The Payne Lake rest stop is at the pavilion on the lake. You must ride into the park to access the stop. The 1.75 mile ride in and out is included in the total century milage.
All rest areas are supplied with Gatorade, water, snacks and small food supplements for riders. All routes will be patrolled and have sag support.
Highway 2 Hale routes on Ride With GPS. This will enable spoken turn-by-turn directions and offline download features. Rest Stop locations will be added, but links will still be good.
69 Metric – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27664779
100 Century – https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27664372
Moundville Archaeological Park, 634 Mound Pkwy, Moundville, AL 35474
- Friday Pre-Registration & Packet Pick-up: Time TBA, TREK Bike Store, 1800 McFarland Blvd E #120, Tuscaloosa, AL 35404
- Saturday, June 9, 2018
- Registration available at 6:00 a.m.
- Breakfast, 6-6:45 by Chick-fil-A served at Traders Circle (start of ride)
- Mass start at 7:00 a.m.
- Moundville, Alabama (click for location)
- Rides begin and end at the Moundville Archaeological Park.
- Participating riders receive access to the amenities at the archaeological park including the museum.
- 10:00 – Lunch from Dreamland BBQ will be served at the Conference Center (end of ride) .
Chopped BBQ Pork, Chopped BBQ Chicken, Buns/Sauce, Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, Mac n Cheese (optional), Salad (for a vegetarian option), Banana Pudding
Raffle tickets will be available on-site for a Giant bike… 2/$10 and 5/$20. Find a Hale’s Angel in the green t-shirt to buy tickets.
Moundville Park Map