Welcome to the ABCS website where we share information on each ride in the Series…just click on the ride you’re interested in on our menu for details…check back often for updates!
ALL YOU CAN EAT CENTURY – SEPTEMBER 17th
Writing a follow-up report after an event that involved a serious accident is not an easy thing to do. I want to share the news of a very well-organized ride but feel that Brian Guerrero is on most of our minds. Many of us have gotten to know Brian over the past few months as a man who loves bicycling and always has a smile for everyone. He’s been traveling from Louisiana and was named one of the first CHAMPIONS this season with 10 centuries done. At this time, we have no news on his condition. His family is with him at the Huntsville Hospital and friends are praying for his complete recovery. We all want to do what we can to help his family with unplanned-for expenses. A friend has set up a GoFundMe page which has raised nearly $23,000 in less than a day and this may be something you’d like to do to help. Updates may be available on our Facebook page.
In its 32nd year, the ALL YOU CAN EAT CENTURY definitely lived up to its name! Friday night’s pre-reg, hosted by Bicycles Etc. kicked off the weekend with a keg of locally brewed beer by Yellow Hammer Brewery and the Food Truck Gathering right around the corner offered just about anything you might want to sample…and what a beautiful, energized downtown area Huntsville now has to offer!
Ride day morning was overcast and a bit breezy but quite a relief after our past sweltering send-offs. Temps remained fairly comfortable all day with occasional showers. Ride Director Morgan Andriulli provided safety details about the route he obviously had pedaled many times over the years and sent over 500 cyclists off with music in honor or the North Alabama Express Cycle Club…Whooo! Whooo!
Co-organizer Jamie Miernik, event staff, and Spring City Cycling Club members as well as local ham radio operators were like a well-oiled machine, making sure supplies were delivered and workers were on site at the rest stops.
And then the food arrived! YES! ALL YOU CAN EAT FOOD! Nothing But Noodles provided Vegetarian and Gluten Free options including Basil Pesto with Chicken, Cappelini Primavera, or Primavera with rice noodles, breadsticks, garden salad, ice tea, and chocolate chip cookie!
First riders rolled in around 5+ hours later!
As the 11th event in the Series, the AYCE was able to recognize another 9 CHAMPIONS who have tallied up 1,000 ABCS miles. Congratulations Jim Cockrell, Katherine Nichols, Alan Beasley, Ramona Bryant, Taylor Dawson, Jay Rose, Cecil Kwong, Don Polk, and Kathy Welch!
Congratulations to a total of 26 men and 4 women who have already earned the limited edition CHAMPION jersey by Primal. We look forward to awarding many more at our next ride, the JOHNNY RAY CENTURY in Opelika next Saturday (Sept. 24th).
A big THANK YOU goes out to Marsha Burt who stayed cool and calm signing you in-170 AYCE Centurions all listed to the right on this page!
And to our ABCS Photographer, Rose Gacula we can only say WOW! Her photos were again gorgeous. Will be posting some on the AYCE page or you can view them on our Facebook page. Thanks also to CHAMPION Mike Metasavage who was unable to ride but assisted all day Saturday.
JOHNNY RAY CENTURY – SEPTEMBER 24th – OPELIKA
After our first 11 events:
- 18 cyclists have pedaled all 11 century routes as compared to 14 in 2015.
- 20 athletes have completed 10 centuries with 10 having accomplished this last year.
- An impressive number of 17 men and women have ridden 9 of our centuries so far! Last year, only 10 had pedaled 9.
- With 800 miles pedaled in the 2016 Series are another 14 bicyclists with 7 last year.
- With 7 centuries done are 9 bicyclists compared to 5 in 2015.
- 8 athletes have now pedaled 6 of our century routes! This time last year there were 10.
- And an impressive 24 cyclists have 5 centuries DONE with 17 in 2015.
- We have 47 athletes with 400 Series miles DONE as compared to 46 last year.
- We have 65 cyclists with 3 centuries pedaled as compared to 60 last year after 11 events.
- 108 have succeeded in pedaling 2 centuries compared to 131 in 2015.
- Total numbers of all cyclists is up from 3,317 to 4,106.
We’re on course to have a record number of CHAMPIONS this year!!! At this point, all who have done 8 or more are eligible with 2 more opportunities to finish with 10 centuries DONE. That could be a total of 61 CHAMPIONS (as compared to 36 in 2015) receiving the specially-designed jersey! If you’re aiming to claim this awesome CHAMPION jersey, keep pedaling!
11 CENTURIES DONE!
10 CENTURIES DONE!
9 CENTURIES DONE!
8 CENTURIES DONE!
7 CENTURIES DONE!
6 CENTURIES DONE!
5 CENTURIES DONE!
4 CENTURIES DONE!
3 CENTURIES DONE
2 CENTURIES DONE
Don’t forget…we are serious about recognizing you for your accomplishments but as numbers increase, errors are apt to happen. Please let us know at email@example.com
- To promote the growth and development of long-distance cycling in the state of Alabama, encourage participation in established Alabama century (100-mile) rides, recognize and reward individuals for their accomplishments, and benefit the charities and advocacy efforts supported by each of these events.
- Complete at least four of the Alabama Centuries (100-mile options) in the Series.
- Receive a collectible “Centurion” Finisher’s Medal for each (100-mile) century you complete.
- Upon completion of four century rides in the Series, receive an embroidered patch in the shape of Alabama, indicating each event location.
- Plus, your name will be listed as Centurion on this website as you complete each century route.
- Ride 10 of our centuries and receive our free Primal Wear CHAMPION jersey!
OUR 2015 CHAMPIONS
We’re very happy to have BUFFALO ROCK/PEPSI back as our PRESENTING SPONSOR, providing soft drinks, bottled water, banners, and Gatorade for each event and those big 10-gallon barrel coolers too!
PRIMAL WEAR is our supporting apparel sponsor, assisting many of our rides in the design of their unique jerseys. PRIMAL WEAR sponsorship allows us to offer awesome CHAMPION jerseys to those pedaling 1,000 or more of our Series miles!
We welcome ACADEMY SPORTS, offering several of our events a super Pre-Registration venue with plentiful parking and opportunity for you to pick up those last-minute supplies. Pre-registering at Academy also makes you eligible for gift cards for a last-minute shopping spree…watch for news on which events will offer this opportunity!
BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD OF ALABAMA, sends best wishes for safe rides in support of health and wellness. Please visit our SPONSOR page for more information from BCBS and our other supporting sponsors.
These events have open online registration and some already have their jersey designs ready:
W.C. HANDY 3 STATE BIKE RIDE 7/23 FLORENCE
HOT HUNDRED 7/30 TUSCALOOSA
NORTH JEFFERSON CENTURY 8/27 GARDENDALE
BIRMINGHAM BICYCLE CLUB’S 43rd ANNUAL CENTURY 9/10 ASHVILLE
ALL YOU CAN EAT CENTURY 9/17 HUNTSVILLE
JOHNNY RAY CENTURY 9/24 OPELIKA
GLASSNER AUTUMN CHALLENGE 10/8 MONTGOMERY
Interested in receiving our newsletter? You can sign up here.