Welcome to the ABCS website where we share information on each ride in the Series…just click on the ride you’re interested in on our menu for details…check back often for updates!
In the year before our Series was introduced, the Dothan TriStates 100 hosted 280 participants. This year’s event made evident the success of the idea by drawing over 400 cyclists, including 232 centurions! Occasional rain showers kept temps reasonable for the cyclists as our ABCS support staff worked to keep things dry at headquarters.
Comments have been pouring in, lavishing compliments about the ride organization. Tour de Blue’s John Halsey said it was one of the best organized events he’d been a part of with very well-marked routes, plenty of rest stops, eager volunteers, tons of food, and a well set-up packet pickup!
Many riders took advantage of our “flattest” century course, capturing their best times.
We saw several clubs and groups well-represented.
Ride Director Joe Varner, family, and Children’s Hospital support staff were seemingly everywhere watching out for and encouraging guests. Joe’s daughter Ashton flew in from Oregon to taunt, torment, and give comic relief when most needed by tiring cyclists.
As always, hundreds of photos were taken by our ABCS Photographer Rose Gacula and we send HUGE thanks out to her as well as Marsha Burt who single-handedly signed in and awarded over 230 centurion medals. On-road photos are shared through our Facebook page and Awards pics on the TriStates page of this site. Centurions are listed to the right. Any corrections on spelling or omissions? Please send to email@example.com
W.C. Handy 100 – Florence, AL. – July 23rd
After our first 6 events:
- 26 cyclists have pedaled all 6 century routes as compared to 19 in 2015.
- 19 athletes have completed 5 centuries with 14 having accomplished this last year.
- An impressive number of 38 men and women have ridden 4 of our centuries so far! Last year, only 13 had pedaled 4.
- With 300 miles pedaled in the 2016 Series are another 38 bicyclists with 35 last year.
- And with 2 centuries done are 85 bicyclists compared to 59 in 2015!
We’re on course to have a record number of CHAMPIONS this year!!! At this point, all of who have done 3 or more are eligible with 7 more opportunities to finish with 10 centuries DONE. If you’re aiming to claim this awesome CHAMPION jersey, keep pedaling!
6 CENTURIES DONE!
5 CENTURIES DONE!
4 CENTURIES DONE!
3 CENTURIES DONE!
2 CENTURIES DONE!
Don’t forget…we are serious about recognizing you for your accomplishments but as numbers increase, errors are apt to happen. Please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
- To promote the growth and development of long-distance cycling in the state of Alabama, encourage participation in established Alabama century (100-mile) rides, recognize and reward individuals for their accomplishments, and benefit the charities and advocacy efforts supported by each of these events.
- Complete at least four of the Alabama Centuries (100-mile options) in the Series.
- Receive a collectible “Centurion” Finisher’s Medal for each (100-mile) century you complete.
- Upon completion of four century rides in the Series, receive an embroidered patch in the shape of Alabama, indicating each event location.
- Plus, your name will be listed as Centurion on this website as you complete each century route.
- Ride 10 of our centuries and receive our free Primal Wear CHAMPION jersey!
OUR 2015 CHAMPIONS
We’re very happy to have BUFFALO ROCK/PEPSI back as our PRESENTING SPONSOR, providing soft drinks, bottled water, banners, and Gatorade for each event and those big 10-gallon barrel coolers too!
PRIMAL WEAR is our supporting apparel sponsor, assisting many of our rides in the design of their unique jerseys. PRIMAL WEAR sponsorship allows us to offer awesome CHAMPION jerseys to those pedaling 1,000 or more of our Series miles!
We welcome ACADEMY SPORTS, offering several of our events a super Pre-Registration venue with plentiful parking and opportunity for you to pick up those last-minute supplies. Pre-registering at Academy also makes you eligible for gift cards for a last-minute shopping spree…watch for news on which events will offer this opportunity!
BLUE CROSS BLUE SHIELD OF ALABAMA, sends best wishes for safe rides in support of health and wellness. Please visit our SPONSOR page for more information from BCBS and our other supporting sponsors.
These events have open online registration and some already have their jersey designs ready:
W.C. HANDY 3 STATE BIKE RIDE 7/23 FLORENCE
HOT HUNDRED 7/30 TUSCALOOSA
NORTH JEFFERSON CENTURY 8/27 GARDENDALE
BIRMINGHAM BICYCLE CLUB’S 43rd ANNUAL CENTURY 9/10 ASHVILLE
ALL YOU CAN EAT CENTURY 9/17 HUNTSVILLE
JOHNNY RAY CENTURY 9/24 OPELIKA
GLASSNER AUTUMN CHALLENGE 10/8 MONTGOMERY
Interested in receiving our newsletter? You can sign up here.