Yet again we can report a tremendous increase in numbers for our Tannehill Ironworks Century! Total registration almost doubled with 189 signed up. Of these, 98 received Centurion status! What an awesome number!!!
From Ride Director, Doug Daughhetee: The mid-day heat took its toll on folks, leading some to linger long on the porch at Eclipse (we call it “homesteading”) before starting their journey back to Tannehill. Relief from the heat arrived in the afternoon in the form of cloud cover and occasional rain showers-some of ‘em briefly heavy, but a turn in the weather welcomed by the riders. A few riders caught sag rides back to the park, but without those showers it is likely more would have had to get sagged in. As it turned out, though, the riders going the full distance late in the day seemed relatively cool, calm and collected as they arrived back at Tannehill.
Beginning with our 6 out of 10 Centuries DONE (sorry we’re missing fresh photos of Alex & Calvin!), congratulations to 9 Alabamians for this awesome achievement!!!
And BIG kudos to our cyclists with 5 Centuries DONE!
And a few pics of them:
These men and women have accomplished 4 of our century options so far and many were awarded their 2014 ABCS patches at the Tannehill Ironworks Century on August 9th:
|Edward O Shipman|
With 3 of our first 6 centuries as fait accompli are these men and women! We look forward to awarding ABCS patches to many of them at our next event, Birmingham Bicycle Club’s 41st Annual Century on September 6th!
|Roberto Aldo Yburan|
|Thomas Schwerin Jr|
|William (Billy) Ritch|
And finally, we have a HUGE list of cyclists who have ridden 2 of the 10 century rides so far and have four more opportunities to take home the 2014 embroidered patch: Be sure to click on the Tannehill Ironworks menu button (top of this page) to see more photos from the 2014 event to be posted soon! Please use the comment form to let us know any missing names.
|Dirtdog (Dan) Watson|
Apologies for any errors on photos or lists!!! The centurion lists have really grown (yes, achieving our goal!) and it’s so easy to miss someone! Please use the comment form below for any corrections.You can find the list of all century riders from each event in the far right column of this page!
- The Challenge:To promote the growth and development of long-distance cycling in the state of Alabama, encourage participation in established Alabama century (100-mile) rides, recognize and reward individuals for their accomplishments, and benefit the charities and advocacy efforts supported by each of these events.
- Complete four of the Alabama Centuries (100-mile options) in the Series.
- Receive a collectible “Centurion” Finisher’s Medal for each (100-mile) century you complete.
- Upon completion of four century rides in the Series, receive an embroidered patch in the shape of Alabama, indicating each event location.
- Plus, your name will be listed as Centurion on each event website and on this DISCOVER ALABAMA BACKROADS website.